Don’t Take Your Frustrations Out On Others
I’m in the middle of rebuilding, so I can regain a little more control over my time, money and home, three resources that can help or hinder my ability to have an impact on the people around me – including family, friends, clients, acquaintances and strangers.
If you’ve been reading these posts, I started tackling this enormous project in March.
For the past week, we’ve been packing up all our possessions in order to empty out the rooms with the 40 year old carpets. These old carpets are sitting on top of original wood floors. I can’t wait to see how beautiful everything will look once these old carpets are torn out and removed.
It’s pretty stressful. And it’s easy to get annoyed and frazzled, and take our frustrations and stress out on the people around us. So for any of you going through stressful times, whether it’s self-imposed like this project, or not, it’s important to remember that we can still behave with grace, kindness and empathy for others, no matter what is going on.
With that in mind, this week I want to share some words of wisdom, some of my favorites quotes for how not to trample over the people in your life when you are feeling stressed out.
Quotes to Help You Remember To Be Kind
- People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
- Attitudes truly are contagious. So ask yourself one question…is mine worth catching? ~ Earl Nightingale, the “Dean of Personal Development”
- Never allow your ego to diminish your ability to listen. ~ Gary Hopkins
- Being heard is so close to being loved that for the average person, they are almost indistinguishable. ~ David Augsburger
- The greatest distance in the world is the fourteen inches from our mind to our hearts. ~ Agnes Baker Pilgrim, Council of Indigenous Grandmothers.
- God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say “thank you?” ~ William Ward
- The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you. ~ John E. Southard
- If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting? ~ Stephen Levine
- To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship. ~ Doménico Cieri Estrada
- Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future. ~ Paul Boese
- Treasure your relationships, not your possessions. ~ Anthony J. D’Angelo